Faculty of Media
Why study Media at AOU?
· Distinguished Curricula
·AOU Media Program adapts non- traditional distinguished curricula in education that is creative in application, and that is totally affiliated with the Athabasca University (AU) Canada. Media Program at AOU uses the same curricula and textbooks used by the Athabasca University (AU) Canada.
· Quality Assurance
AOU Media Program affiliated with the Athabasca University (AU) Canada, it applies the international quality standards to ensure the quality of the education process.
· Qualified Academic Staff
AOU Media Program recruits and employs highly qualified academic staffs who have been awarded their academic degrees from well known, highly ranked international universities.
· Flexible Learning Systems
AOU is the only university in Egypt that offers blended learning. In addition to face-to-face classes, AOU education system provides students with untraditional teaching tools, such as the Learning Management System (LMS) and the e-library. That allows students under any circumstances to access lectures & educational material.
Different tracks to meet different interests
The Media at the AOU has three tracks, offered through he available tracks:
– Electronic Media
– Radio & Television
– Public relation & Advertising
1- Electronic Media
The Electronic Media programme, is becoming increasingly important in the Arab world. With the flow of information available and the need to communicate this information to the public, there is a growing need for graduates holding a degree in Electronic Media. In addition, working in the media sector is still prestigious and highly regarded in the Arab world; many young people would like to work in the field.
Why Study Electronic Media?
Studying Electronic Media is your way to learn:-
– How journalism has developed from its traditional forms into direct online press.
– How online journalism and electronic media differ from their traditional counterparts.
– How to direct electronic newspaper output and how that differs from traditional newspaper output.
– About the characterization of new media practices and interactive decisions, and how they are imbibed from traditional media practices.
The Electronic Media program also includes practical skills curricula that involve (2) two hours of practical training:
– Basics of Design
– Basics of Digital Montage
– Basics of Graphics
– Practical Training
– Electronic Media Production
– Advanced Digital Montage
– Electronic Newspapers Output
– Graduation Project
2- Radio & Television
The press and media sector in Egypt has expanded remarkably over the past decade in particular, and therefore the there is a need in the market for specialists in Radio and Television. Both private and public radio and television stations that target Egyptian society, as well as satellite stations that target the Arab World and the international audiences at large, are in need of qualified graduates in the field of Radio and Television. Radio and television, are not only still central in the media scene, but their importance has in fact increased. A lot of people still see Radio and Television as the main means for news and entertainment.
Why study Radio & Television?
The Radio and Television program is designed to
– Prepare students to cover media and public communication aspects in general and Radio and Television aspects in particular so as to effectively address the various and multiple problems of the media.
– Enhance critical thinking and analytical skills, encourage students to have their own points of view, explore creative concepts and examine topics from multiple perspectives.
– Allow for the complementarity of the various scientific areas/disciplines that are related to the study of radio and television as well as the interaction of multiple methodologies.
– Focus on broadcasting and introduce students to the basics of radio and television production.
– Enhance the active practice of the study and provides multiple platforms for training.
– Provides the appropriate training environment which simulates reality and combines traditional radio and television studios and media digital technology.
– Equips students with the skills to pursue a career in media in general and radio and television sector in particular as well as academic and scholarly careers in related areas of study.
3- Public Relation & Advertising
With so many products and brands available in the market now, and a growing need to maintain a good reputation and public perception of companies, there are more jobs available for graduates with a degree in Public Relations and Advertising. Advertising is all around us, and the industry needs graduates who contribute to the growth of this sector. The competitive market has created a need for PR offices to manage the events and the literature of the companies and more job opportunities for students with a degree in Public Relations and Advertising.
Why study Public Relation & Advertising?
Graduates should be able to:
· Understand the nature of the work of the public relations, its functions, objectives, the scientific bases to practice it, and the factors that affected its development.
· Understand the nature of the work of Advertising, its different fields and its influential factors.
· Understand the nature of the means of communication, the media, the international advertising and the necessary skills for effective communication.
· Analyze public opinion and the different views of the audiences, which deal with the public relations and advertising.
· Acquire work skills in the areas of public relations and advertising and how to media-manage local and international crisis and issues.
· Practically apply ethics for public relations and advertising.
· Prepare public relations programs and campaigns as well as advertising and communications campaigns.
· Determine the masses of public relations and advertising.
· Appreciate the historical background and foundations of sciences and arts of public relations and advertising
· Enable to think through issues of PR, Advertising, marketing communication “in the round”.
· Understand the cultural, economic, social, legal, ethics, and political implications on public relations and advertising processes.
· Demonstrate understanding of the role of public relations and advertising in the economical, cultural and social context.
· Understand the role of PR and advertising in changing images, ideas, attitudes and behaviours.
· Help students to develop their understanding and application of different research methods.
· Develop and appreciate the importance of quantitative and qualitative methods and techniques of research pertinent to the fields of public relations and advertising.
· Demonstrate the specific nature of PR and advertising in Arab world in comparison to foreign societies.
· Produce practical work of a professional standard.
· Relate critical thinking approaches to a variety of special topics concerning public relations and advertising management.
· Make links between the theoretical understanding of PR and advertising processes and practices.
· Introduce practices of modern advertising and public relations to the core institutions.
· Provide the tools to gain a properly contextually informed understanding of how market PR & advertising communication operates.
· Facilitate the development of a coherent and rigorous approach to dealing with PR& advertising issues.
· Develop skills of producing extended forms of PR and advertising essays and research papers.
· Guide through a range of media theory dealing with the structures and functions of advertising and public relations
· Help to appreciate the differences between advertising for a range of media
· Provide a solid ground in the techniques and technology of PR & advertising production.
· Develop a critical eye for public relations and advertising practices.
· Introduce practical skills necessary for professional practitioners of PR& advertising.
· Build student competence and critical awareness.
Media Potential Careers
Media Programme contributes to the career development of graduates. Media Programme offers these courses that provide students with labour market skills; cognitive, soft & ICT skills.
The Media Programme qualifies its graduates to perform several jobs in various fields such as:-
– Electronic /Digital Media
– TV & Radio
– Public Relation
– Design, graphic & montage